Group discounts are available on V/Line trains and coaches subject to space.
Group travel bookings, including return journeys, must be made for:
Group travel is charged at concession fares. This is approximately 50 per cent cheaper than the standard weekday adult fares and approximately 30 per cent cheaper on weekends.
- 12 or more customers travelling together on V/Line coach services
- 20 or more customers travelling together on V/Line train services.
Group discounts are available to both general groups and school groups.
In the event of a train cancellation, we will provide booked groups with alternative transport.
School group leaders must ensure students have permission from parents to travel on V/Line services.
If there are 12 to 19 customers travelling together by train, tickets can be purchased from any V/Line ticket sales outlet.
If there are 20 or more customers travelling together (12 or more on coach services), please contact the V/Line Group Travel Coordinator to make your booking.
They can be contacted between 8am and 4pm Monday to Friday via email@example.com.
A group travel application can be made in four ways:
- Use the "Plan trip/buy tickets" tool on the homepage to choose your dates of travel. Follow the steps to add the number of customers and calculate the fare before submitting your request online.
- Visit a staffed V/Line station to complete a group travel application form.
- Email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call our Group Travel Coordinator on 03 9619 2338 Monday to Friday between 8am and 4pm.
Give as much notice as you can for your group travel. We recommend submitting your application at least 30 days before departure to maximise your chances of being accommodated on your chosen services.
All group travel applications must be completed at least seven days before travel.
Group travel is subject to availability and we cannot accommodate groups at certain times.
Sporting events, school holidays, Seniors Week, Easter, Christmas Day, Melbourne Show and other busy times may also be unavailable.
We will do our best to accommodate your group and if we're unable to, we'll let you know of alternative travel options.
We'll confirm and finalise your group travel arrangements within 14 days of receiving your application.
If we’re able to accommodate you on your chosen services, we'll provide a booking reference number and you can quote this at your local staffed V/Line station when collecting your tickets.
There is no maximum number for customers travelling in groups. Due to operational logistics of carrying large groups, we may need to split your group across multiple services.
As seating is limited on coach services, we may not always be able to accommodate your group.
Seats will be set aside for groups with 20 or more people, unless otherwise specified.
All group bookings must be paid for and tickets collected at least 48 hours before departure.
We’re unable to accommodate groups with bicycles on any of our services.
Group travel tickets can be refunded provided they are presented to a V/Line booking office under the following conditions:
- Present unreserved tickets at a V/Line booking office or ticket agent up to the day before your departure date.
- Reserved tickets must first be cancelled by contacting our Group Travel Coordinator on 03 9619 2338. You can then present the tickets at a V/Line booking office or ticket agent before the departure date for a refund. Tickets can be presented for refund up to seven days from the cancellation date. No administration fee applies.
- Individual unused tickets cannot be presented for refund.
- Pensioner free vouchers, seniors vouchers and Family Traveller tickets cannot be used in conjunction with Group Travel tickets.
- Ticket combinations are not allowed with group travel.
The My Train program allows Victorian primary school students to take free off-peak travel on V/Line trains. Each school is eligible for one return trip for up to 20 students and four accompanying adults per calendar year
Our main priority is providing public transport and we do not charter coaches.
For charter coaches, please contact a company in your local area.