Passengers are welcome to take domesticated animals (including cats and dogs) on a V/Line train as long as they follow the conditions set out below which ensure the safety and welfare of everyone onboard.
Guide dogs, hearing guide dogs, guide dogs in training and approved assistance animals are permitted on all V/Line services and there are no conditions around the carriage of these animals travelling with us.
If you wish to travel with your pet you must observe the following conditions:
- Pets are not permitted on V/Line buses.
- All domesticated pets (including cats and dogs) must be carried in an approved container that meets the following guidelines:
- Small - equivalent to one unit of baggage
- Suitable for cats and small dogs - up to a small terrier size
- Size - 56cm long / 30cm wide / 38cm high
- Maximum Weight (including pet) - up to 15kg
- Small animals in approved containers can be carried on the following train configurations on the designated locations provided:
- Loco - Hauled Services - in the luggage van (not allowed within passenger cabin)
- VLocity Fleet - inside the passenger cabin within the designated bike/luggage storage area
- Sprinters - inside the passenger cabin within the designated luggage storage area (known as the corral)
- All small animals carried in an approved container are the responsibility and under the supervision of the owner. Owners are required to place the animal container on and off the V/Line train.
- Provided the RSPCA guidelines are met of the animal being able to stand up straight, sit down (without being cramped) and turn around in the approved container, carriage of more than one animal is permitted.
- All small animals carried in an approved container are to be stored in designated luggage areas and cannot be stored in walkways, under seats, in overhead luggage racks or on seats.
- Owners are responsible for the removal and clean-up of any excrement and/or mess that the animal produce on their journey.
- It is recommended that you travel in off-peak periods
- V/Line staff will take no responsibility for the storage and carriage of small animals.
- Only one approved container per adult ticket.
V/Line will not permit dangerous dogs (full breed and half breed) on any of its train services. Dangerous dogs are defined under the Domestic Animals Act 1994 under Restricted Breeds. "Restricted breed' dogs are defined as those dogs prohibited from being imported by the Commonwealth Customers (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956, including the Dogo Argentino, the Japanese Tosa, the Fila Brasileiro, the Perro de Presa Canario (or Presa Canario) and the American Pit Bull Terrier (or Pit Bull Terrier).
Refusal to travel
In addition, V/Line staff may refuse carriage as a result of an animal that causes a disturbance, presents or becomes savage and may risk harm to itself, its owner, other passengers and staff onboard the train service. On services where seating availability and space is limited, staff may request passenger and animal to board an alternative service.
Assistance Animal Pass
Only animals identified on an Assistance Animal Pass can travel on all Victorian public transport services.
Full details on the pass, including how to apply, can be found on the PTV website.
For further information please call us on 1800 800 007.