V/Line is Australia’s largest regional public transport operator. In 2012–13 it served 14.72 million train and coach passengers.
Each week there are more than 1400 train services that run between Melbourne and:
- Geelong (including South Geelong and Marshall) and Warrnambool
- Ballarat (including Wendouree), Ararat and Maryborough
- Bendigo (including Eaglehawk), Swan Hill and Echuca
- Seymour, Albury/Wodonga and Shepparton
- Traralgon, Sale and Bairnsdale
V/Line branded coach services connect with the rail network and serve regional Victorian communities where trains do not operate. Some coach services also travel through to South Australia, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory. Private sector buses, under contract with Public Transport Victoria, provide the majority of V/Line coach services. However, management of these contracts is expected to transfer to V/Line in 2013-14.
In addition to being a passenger service operator, V/Line also provide access to, and maintain, 3420 kilometres of rail track used by passenger and freight rail services.
V/Line is a major employer with a workforce of 1493, many of whom live in regional Victoria.
Our visionA connected and prosperous regional Victoria.
To deliver customer-focussed, safe and efficient regional passenger transport and rail freight access.
- Safety underpins everything we do: safety is paramount
- Think customer: the customer is the centre of our service system
- Act with integrity: we operate professionally and ethically
- Raise the bar: we strive to improve ourselves and our business
- Deliver as one V/Line: we join-up to achieve outcomes