Supporting the next generation of footy umpires
Published: Wed 9 Mar 2016
Umpires are the lifeblood of Australian rules football, both at the highest level of competition and for hundreds of competitions around the country.
V/Line is supporting the next generation of field, goal and boundary umpires through the V/Line Umpire Academy.
Promising junior and experienced umpires have been nominated by their AFL Victoria region, and their participation in the program helps prepare the umpires for a wide-range of appointments in the future. Some of the competitions which V/Line Umpire Academy participants can be chosen to participate in include:
- AFL Victoria Youth Girls' Academy in various locations during February/March
- AFL Victoria Under 16 Championships games in Bendigo on Friday 1 April
- National Kickstart Championships and All-Nations Championships in Cairns during April
- Worksafe Community Championships in Melbourne on Saturday 21 May
- AFL Victoria Country vs Metropolitan representative game on Saturday 9 July
- V/Line Cup and Youth Girls' Shield games in Gippsland from Monday 26 to Thursday 29 September
- TAC Cup games throughout the season
During March and April academy sessions were held in Albury, Ballarat, Bendigo, Colac, Dandenong, Drouin, Echuca, Geelong, Horsham, Lake Boga, Mildura, Morwell, Shepparton and Warrnambool. For more details on times of sessions in your area visit AFL Victoria