Before your journey
Plan your journey well in advance and find out where your nearest station or retail outlet is by calling 1800 800 007 or searching this website.
- Purchase and collect your ticket before you travel on public transport.
- You will need to reserve your seat if travelling long-distance.
- Make arrangements for mobility aids, guide dogs and seating needs at least 24 hours in advance by calling us on 1800 800 007.
- Collect your tickets before your trip from your station. If you purchased them far enough in advance from our call centre they can posted your tickets to you. Please ask the staff member you speak to.
- Pick up a timetable in advance from your V/Line station.
When to travelThe best time for seniors to travel on V/Line’s services is during the off–peak.
Travelling during the off-peak will ensure you avoid busy crowds that can occur on some commuter services in the morning and evening peak periods.
Buying your ticket
You can buy your ticket or make a reservation at staffed V/Line stations, via our call centre by phoning 1800 800 007, at an accredited V/Line ticket agent or at some Premium Metro stations.Reserve your return trip at the time of booking your forward journey.
You can purchase your tickets up to three months in advance.
When travelling from an unstaffed station, you can purchase your tickets on board the train from the conductor. Only cash is accepted.
Each year Centrelink issues seniors with a pensioner free voucher. This voucher can be exchanged for a V/Line ticket at the outlets above prior to travel.
You can also travel for free on specified days during the Seniors Festival (usually held in October).
All V/Line tickets to and from metropolitan Melbourne include free access to Melbourne’s metropolitan trains, trams and buses. You can also use your V/Line ticket to travel for free on local buses in Ballarat, Bendigo (including Eaglehawk), Geelong (including North Geelong, South Geelong and Marshall), Moe, Morwell and Traralgon.
Single tickets include one hour’s free travel on either side of your V/Line journey. Day return, weekly, monthly and date-to-date tickets include free travel all day.
Checked luggage is only available on locomotive-hauled long distance services originating or terminating in Bairnsdale, Shepparton, Swan Hill and Warrnambool.
Luggage must be checked in at least 30 minutes before you leave. All items must be properly packed or they will not be accepted. You can only carry bicycles, surfboards etc. on nominated train and coach services where space permits. Call us on 136 196 before you travel to check your service.
When travelling short journeys passengers now have the flexibility to be able to transfer their own luggage to the train.
Each passenger is allowed to bring 2 x 15kg pieces of luggage on all train and coach services. Ask station staff for assistance with your luggage.
Travelling with mobility aids
Mobility aids can be used on all trains but can only be accepted on road coaches that are wheelchair equipped.
If you travel with a mobility aid, it needs to:
Wait in a prominent location on the platform so the train conductor may assist you by putting down the ramp.
- Fit within an allocated space of 1300mm (length) and 800mm (width)
- Be no more than 750mm wide at a height of 300mm above the ground
- The total weight of the mobility aid, its user and any attendant must be less than 300kg.
For coach travel, please call us at least 24 hours in advance on 1800 800 007.