V/Line is Australia’s largest regional public transport operator. In 2011-12 it served a record 15.5 million train and coach passengers.
Each week there are more than 1400 train services that run between Melbourne and:
- Geelong (including South Geelong and Marshall) and Warrnambool
- Bacchus Marsh (including Melton), Ballarat, Ararat and Maryborough
- Sunbury, Kyneton and Bendigo; Swan Hill and Echuca
- Seymour, Albury/Wodonga and Shepparton
- Traralgon, Sale and Bairnsdale.
There are also almost 600 coach services each week that connect with the rail network and serve regional Victorian communities where trains do not operate. Some coach services also travel through to South Australia, New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory. Private sector buses, under contract from Public Transport Victoria, provide the majority of V/Line bus services.
In addition to being a passenger service operator, V/Line is a not-for-proﬁt corporation under the State-Owned Enterprises Act 1992. As part of this, it also provides access to, and maintains, 3,420 kilometres of broad gauge rail track used by the passenger and freight rail services.
V/Line is a major employer with a workforce of 1460, many of whom live in regional areas of Victoria.
Our visionTo be recognised by our community as the leading Victorian public transport provider.
To provide value for our customers and community by delivering safe, reliable, accessible and sustainable passenger and rail freight transport services as part of an integrated transport system.
- Put our customers first
- Be honest
- Take responsibility
- Strive for excellence
- Treat people and the environment with respect, with safety being paramount in all we do.