V/Line is the main rail infrastructure provider in regional Victoria. We are responsible for the provision of access to freight and passenger train operators.
The network includes regional broad gauge lines to:
- Geelong and Warrnambool
- Ballarat, Ararat and Mildura/Merbein
- Hopetoun (standard gauge)
- Yaapeet (standard gauge)
- Bendigo and Swan Hill/Piangil
- Echuca, Moulamein (partially open) and Deniliquin
- Seymour and Shepparton/Tocumwal
- Traralgon and Bairnsdale
- Some freight lines within metropolitan Melbourne and the South Dynon fuel depot
- The Southern Cross Station passenger yard.
Access for running trains
V/Line provides access to freight and passenger train operators. Terms and conditions for access to the network for freight purposes are regulated under the Victorian rail access regime.
Please view the Network Access Information Pack for more details.
Access to network land for works or community purposes
V/Line also provides access to government agencies, utilities and community groups for works and activities. All applicants for access must comply with V/Line's procedures. Charges may apply. Make an application to access our network.
Other Victorian rail infrastructure
Several other parties also manage rail infrastructure in Victoria:
- The standard gauge corridor between Serviceton on the Victoria/South Australia border and the south side of the Murray River on the NSW/Victoria border via Melbourne which is leased to the Australian Rail Track Corporation
Enquiries about access to the V/Line network should be emailed to email@example.com.
The majority of the metropolitan rail infrastructure, which is leased to Metro Trains
Some yards and terminals in metropolitan Melbourne managed by VicTrack.